Friday, August 21, 2009

Lately, I've really been focusing on streamlining and cutting back on things that I don't necessarily need. I think a lot of us have been doing that - getting rid of what we haven't used in a while or don't want or need any longer. Not only have I been doing this in my apartment, but I've also done it at my warehouse.

I realized that I've held on to a lot of things that I no longer needed, and I was taking up space unecessarily. But, the items I was looking to get rid of weren't garbage..they just weren't useful to me any longer.

My office discovered the organization Material for the Arts, based in New York City (www.mfta.org). They distribute donated items to the public schools' art programs, cultural centers and other arts organizations who could defnitely use the supplies. We sent rolls of fabric (leftovers from tablecloths, curtains and other items), rolls of paper, paper flowers, glass cylinders and many other items that I no longer needed to their warehouse.

Since then, I've received dozens of letters from NYC public schools, after-school programs, theater groups and even individuals who've been able to put these things to good use. The Pan American Interational High School auctioned off some items to purchase much-needed athletic equipment while students at P.S. 212 in Queens made Mother's Day gifts out of the things they received.

It's an incredible organization that's doing a lot to help keep the arts alive in spite of these difficult time, and I encourage you to support them in any way that you can.