Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Cole Down Your Summer

One of my favorite things about this time of year is making all sorts of coleslaw for my summer guests. Stemming from the Dutch word “koolsalade,” which means cabbage salad, coleslaw is exactly that: salad made primarily of cabbage. While most slaws have a base of either mayonnaise or vinegar, coleslaw can be made with pretty much anything and on anything as long as it has the chief ingredient of cabbage.

I believe that the most important aspect of making coleslaw is having the perfect mandoline. For years I searched for one that had both the perfect sharpness and durability. I came to realize that it is not always the most expensive one that ends up giving you the best slices. There are a few mandolines in different price ranges I have found that work for me. If money is not an issue I would definitely go with the Oxo Good-Grips mandoline which can be found at Williams-Sonoma. If you are not looking to spend too much money I would suggest the Japanese made Benriner, which can be found in most cooking stores or amazon.com.

Once the perfect mandoline is found anything from almonds, apples, or carrots can be added and you will have great coleslaw for all of your friends to enjoy. Happy slicing!

Easy Coleslaw
½ head cabbage
1 large carrot
1 medium onion
1 ½ cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablesppons vinegar
½ teaspoon salt

Finely shred cabbage, carrot and onion and mix well. Combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and salt. Add to shredded vegetables and chill! Serves 4.

Oxo and Debuyer Mandolines Found at William-Sonoma.
Benriner Mandoline Found at Amazon.com.