Monday, June 1, 2009

June is the Month for Iced Tea

Iced tea is such a popular summer drink the entire month of June has been named iced tea month! I wanted to share with you my iced tea secret, as well as a few other teas to try this summer.

A little background on the cold beverage...it was created in America nearly 100 years ago. The United States is the only country where the majority of tea is enjoyed cold. In fact, iced tea was invented because visitors to the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair weren't interested in drinking hot tea on a hot day ... so quick-thinking English tea merchant Richard Blechynden added ice, and the rest is history.


My secret to a great iced tea is Crystal Light. I keep it on hand all summer, so when guests drop by last minute I can make tea instantly. Another summer tip; I mix 1/2 Crystal Light Iced Tea with 1/2 Crystal Light Lemonade mix for the best Arnold Palmer.

If your preference is green or herbal tea try one of Tavalon's loose teas. Lemongreen and After Dark are great ones to test out. Bodum makes a great loose leaf iced tea pitcher, just add tea leaves, water and sugar, if desired.

Garnish each glass with a sprig of mint and an orange slice.