Thursday, July 16, 2009


Summer barbeques are one of my favorite things during the few warm months we have! I love getting together with a group of friends and just spend time relaxing and grilling in the warm summer sun. Sometimes though, the average hot dog and hamburger can get a bit boring and repetitive. One of the biggest issues I find myself running into is that I don’t just want meat. Especially with all the delicious light, summer vegetables out, I want to utilize them in my grilling while they last! Here are a few ideas to step up your next barbeque and wow your guests in a seemingly painstaking, yet nearly effortless way.

Shish kabobs are an easy way to create a full meal by combining hearty meat, with healthy veggies. Alternate your favorite meats or seafood with juicy tomatoes, onions, bell peppers – anything your heart desires! If you’re one of those people whose first thought is “burgers” when someone mentions “barbeque”, grilling veggies on the side is a good alternative. My favorites to grill are corn on the cob, asparagus, eggplant and large shitake mushrooms.

Lastly, I really enjoy a cold, crisp, lightly spicy salsa during the summertime. A friend of mine once told me about a fun idea for the grill that allows me to eat a delicious mango or pineapple salsa with something other than chips – quesadillas! Grilling not only allows you and your friends to be outside, taking in the beautiful weather, but it’s a fun spin for a summer get together.

What are some of your favorite things to grill?