Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Patty Cake…Patty Pan!

People often ask me for ideas about what to do with thier pumpkins and squash once the fall holidays are over. When being asked this yesterday I was reminded of my grandmother’s Patty Pan dish that I used to enjoy in the morning when spending time at her house. Patty Pan squash, often called White Bush Scallop Squash, is a white or yellow-saucer shaped summer fruit. Like my grandmother would often show me as she cooked breakfast, Patty Pan is extremely simple to cook, and can be prepared in a variety of ways. You can boil, steam, or fry Patty Pan and the flavor and nutritional value of the squash will surprise you every time!

Below is a great recipe for morning Patty Pan that my grandmother surely loved, hopefully you will enjoy it as well.

Patty Pan Squash with Bacon

1 ½ lbs patty pan squash, stems removed, washed well and cut into ½-inch slices
3 slices bacon
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

1. In a cast iron skillet fry the bacon on medium heat until crisp. Set aside. When cool enough to handle, break up bacon into small pieces.

2. In same pan, fry the patty pan squash until golden brown on both sides, stirring often to avoid burning, about 10 minutes.

3. Season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to serving dish.

Please leave a comment and let me know your ideas about using squash in your kitchen!