Monday, October 27, 2008

The Scent of Johnny Appleseed

So often, I catch myself wishing that I was a professional perfumer, able to capture a scent in nature and recreate it for my own use in my home or at event sites. I am continually purchasing candles that best capture natural scents, but they never quite achieve the “authenticity” of Mother Nature like I dream of. But who says you can’t bring nature into your home to fill your rooms with the heavenly smells of...let’s say APPLES!

The most amazing way to keep the fall sweetness in your house is to fill beautiful baskets of apples in select rooms. By placing more than one basket you create a theme that ties your décor together and you gradually create an orchard-like feel inside. The more the apples ripen, the sweeter the smell. This is one of my favorite times of the year, because I can experience walking through an apple orchard on my way to the dining room!



Above is a picture of the entrance of the restaurant Bouley in lower Manhattan. Chef David Bouley uses this idea in all of his restaurants.

Tell me about your favorite fall scents!